Smoke and Mirrors

The two men sat before each other, silently, staring into the other's eyes with caution. None of them belonged in that run down orbital tavern, so people around them kept an eye on what they did, curious.
One was clearly too rich to come to such a place: his belly was full, he had big double chin and enough fat in his face to partially hide his eyes. Though his clothes were common and unsurprising, on a close look they were clearly made exclusively for him by a personal tailor. He had a large cigarette in his left hand, one that puffed out small clouds of flavored smoke into the air around him. Vanilla maybe. His hair had once been black, but what was left of it was now mostly white, like a dove hanging over his head. His age surely showed he was a respectable man, probably some kind of politician or member of the Empire's employees. Though those never came down here.

The other, in front of him, surely didn't belong in a place like this, he looked like he would fall at any moment, and someone should call an ambulance to take him to a hospital. He was tall, and extremely slender, and wore the white robe of a penitent that was so wide for him that his whole body seemed to get lost in it. He had lost much hair, and had many wrinkles in his face, though he didn't seem like he was that old. Sometimes, when he moved, he sent out a buzzing or squeeking sound from his hand or leg, both changed into an old model of cyberimplant. And in his right hand he had two large gold rings, clearly non consistant with the rest of his look.
-It has been time- the old man started, still analyzing the man in front of him with a clear gaze, his voice was a solemn one, the kind of voice that is used to being obeyed without questioning.
-Indeed, it has- the other voice was weak, frail, as if the whole throat was being tortured just to say those words-. But I'm sure you know why I haven't been able to keep in touch lately.-
The older man nodded, still analyzing the frail body in front of him.
-You look better.-
-Thank you, I do my best, and can pay myself a good doctor. The rest is only a matter of time.-
Again, the older man nodded, knowing that he had already made enough small talk. He certainly was unconfortable in a place like this, and wanted to end with the meeting as soon as possible.
-So, what is it you want from me? I'm sure that you haven't called me only to rebuild our friendship- there was irony in the man's voice, bitter and sour.
-To have a cup of tea together?- there was a small laugh in the other man's voice, even if it was broken by a small wave of coughs that forced him to bend a little. The handkerchief he used to clean his mouth had some small blood stains.
-Come on, we both know that isn't so. We've been in this game for much too long. Lets get it over with.-
-Fair enough. I want permission to invade the Tizca region.-
The older man almost dropped the cigarette from his hand, and made a sign to the bartender to bring him something strong. It certainly wasn't going to be a confortable conversation, some minor information exchanges like it had been before.
-Are you insane! Capsuleer scum can't invade a planet, you and your followers are not allowed by CONCORD to do so, and we both know it. It is not a matter of Imperial policy, my hands are tied in this.-
-Who said anything about an official war, my friend? Down there, House Vindictus and House Caine both lack their leaders right now. They have killed too many, and forced their hand too much to get where they are. Which, if I may say, was only because you decided not to take part, or control, the situation before it ran out of control... which was already many months ago.-
-I know all those things already, my intelligence network is rather impressive, we both know that. And House Vindictus is a Holder House since long ago, and Holders are always at each other's throats, there is nothing new in that.-
The younger man nodded, taking a small and careful sip of his cup of tea while the barman came to them with a glass of some strong spirits. Both were silent until the Brutor slave retreated again behind his bar and they were left some privacy again. And yet, before speaking, the older man downed at least a quarter of his glass.
-What you ask for is impossible, I'm afraid. You know it. I know it. Cloned- there was a small tint of disgust in that word- pilots should never be allowed to have the power they already have in space, certainly that shouldn't be extended planetside. And, in any case, it is a matter of CONCORD politics and laws, I'm tied.-
-If I wanted a public recognition of the war, I would have asked permission either to a CONCORD officer, or to the governor of the region, my friend. I wouldn't have gone to you, would I?-
-So what? The Ministry can't take part in these things. It is not what we were created for, nor why we exist.-
-Indeed. You exist to mantain peace in the Empire, it is as simple as that. And, in your personal case, for the region of northern Oris. And you want that peace to settle again, as do we. I've been monitoring the situation since long ago, my friend, since Lord Vindictus' wedding to be precise, and I've observed and gathered all the pieces by now. You are in some deep trouble.-
-Me? And how can that be, my old friend- sarcasm came again to his voice as he downed a bit more of tea.
-We both have been in this too long, Eimar, to know that your position is not one based in success but in political power. You wormed your way into there as a stepping stone before the next level. You want to leave your position and, eventually, become head of all Oris. Even beyond, you want to become, with time, one of the heads of the Ministry. And that is something I'm trying to aid you with.-
-By starting a war. Don't think I'm a fool. I've seen how your wolfspiders act, and I know that by now, with the defection of Lord Caine from your organization, they probably answer no longer to you. I hope treason is to your liking, as it seems like traitors appear by your side from time to time.-
The younger man paused for a second, his eyes lost in the cup of tea before him.
-It comes with the job.-
The older man, Eimar Namatjar, head of the Ministry of Internal Order on Northern Oris, nodded with a small grin.
-But you have a problem in your career- the young man continued-. Without Lord Vindictus or Lord Caine ready to lead their houses, without their men ready for battle, the other Houses will jump on them. I have a footage of the meeting between Lord Vindictus and the other Holders when he announced the ending of the war and Lord Caine's ascension to Holder under his House... and they weren't happy. I have friends in their Houses, and you can be sure they are preparing a new war now, to take what was taken from them quickly and efficiently, before the other two Houses can prepare themselves.-
-You think I don't know this? Please, if I've reached where I am it is because I am no fool.-
-I know you do. And I know that you are aware of what will happen when that war comes to an end. Once House Vindictus and Caine are destroyed, the other Houses won't have enough power to make sure they can retain their new possessions, and will start jumping at each other's throats. New wars will erupt, and the Tizca region will be wasted for years to come.-
The younger man took a sip of his tea, before going on. The cigarette had already been finished, so the older man took another one from his jacket and lit it with a small golden lighter with the emblem of the Ministry of Internal Order engraved in it. He was making a show of his position, reminding the younger man he was going too far.
-If such a region becomes a wasteland, your superiors won't be too happy about it and your career will be done. Another man will get your position in an attempt to solve the situation, and you will be sent to a backwater planet no one wants. Who knows, maybe even in the frontlines, I've heard Sosala has a couple planets which need new security heads after the last attacks.-
-I got the situation under control, don't pretend to be able to do what I do better than myself- it was a threat, certainly-. I can still influence the Ministry so they take you back in. I still have the number of Marbius Ardishapur.-
The younger man raised his hands in a gesture of peace.
-I'm just pointing out the situation before you. What will happen. You have your hands tied in this matter, we both know that you can't intervene: wars between Holders are legit in the Empire. And if something is legit, the Ministry can't intervene, it can only look at how the events unfold. Guide and counsel at most, but can't do much more. Yet, you will receive the blame, even if you couldn't do nothing.-
-So, you want to solve it by directly starting a war? An illegal war? How can that even be remotely close to a solution?-
-The wolfspiders aren't our only shock troops. And we are as interested as you in keeping the region stable. First, because that is our duty in the Empire, and second because we know we started this. It is our responsability.-
-That doesn't answer my question.-
-Too true. But I can't answer it. You know I can't speak of how we work. Give us a couple weeks, and all should be solved. My duty done, your position prevented. You can even say you did it, we don't need any recognition, it may aid you in your career.-
For a second, the older man thought on the proposition. It could, indeed, be a solution, but it was an enormous corpse to have in the closet.
-I can't believe you will do it without obtaining anything. What is in it for you and your people? No one does anything for honor, and less than anyone you.-
-It is not a matter of honor. It is a matter of treason.-
The older man nodded, understanding. Vengeance was a powerful motivation for most, and he knew that the younger man was a vengeful person. For one moment, he imagined how it would be to have him and those like him behind you, but he threw the thought away as it was leading nowhere. He finished his glass of spirits and looked into the eyes of the other man.
-Very well, I will look in another direction when your men start fighting. But if any of them remains in the region in three week's time, I will make public their pressence and use you and those on your orders as bait to throw the problem away from myself. And none of you capsuleers will remain in the planet when it ends. Am I clear?-
-Like a sunny day.-
The older man nodded, getting up. But then, the younger one touched his hand to get his attention again. To the touch, his hand felt more like paper than real flesh.
-But, one day in the future, me or one of my associates may need a favor from you. For the wellbeing of the Empire, I hope you don't forget that we are here to help.-
The older man closed his gaze on the younger one, and took his hand away with a strong pull.
-You are the same worm as always, the penitence has changed you nothing.-
-I am what I have to be, my friend, our universe has made me so. I just do what has to be done, always for the wellbeing of the Empire.-
-Always for the wellbeing... that's not what I've heard. And these events proof otherwise.-
With a grin, the older man left in long, quick steps. The other one remained for a while, finishing his tea before getting up and giving a thanks to the Brutor for the great tea, as always. As he left the place, he picked up the comm unit and sent a small message:
"Give Mathra the heads up. Operation Unknown Justice can begin. I will remain in the planet for some more time, keeping an eye on things, but he is the one in charge now."
And that was how it should be. He wasn't good for judging the events inside his own group, they were his friends, his apprentices, his Brothers and Sisters. If one of them was a potential traitor... well, he didn't take that either kindly or simply...

Comentarios

Publicar un comentario

Entradas populares de este blog

Un mundo de tinieblas

El poder de los nombres

Tiempo de Anatemas 27: La senda de la tinta y la sombra